Saturday, November 22, 2014

Canned Meat and Other Culinary Clashes

My husband and I arrived in our household from opposite culinary planets.  Anyone who has ever eaten a meal with my mother can attest to the fact that even her basic food bordered on gourmet.   Throwing a meal together still involved fresh ingredients and tons of spices when she was cooking.  I am not that good.  My children know the pleasure of parboiled noodles and space age orange cheese powder.  I will eat anything that my snobby palate qualifies, as quality, without hesitation.   My husband, however, suffers from no such hang-ups when it comes to his cuisine.  He will eat nearly anything that is not nailed down.  I have seen him combine condiments in a fashion that defies comprehension I ate my first packet of Ramen noodles and prepackaged Lipton Rice with him.  We avoided the bottom shelf of the grocery store growing up, too many ingredients we could not pronounce.  We fought, during one of our financial rough spots, over my obsession with artichoke hearts and fresh garlic.  I can say, with great honesty that I picked the wrong economic time to get obsessed with Clean Eating.  The fresh zucchini with the garlic crust was not worth two days without gas money. Eventually, we made it to the culinary middle ground where we are sacrificing neither quality nor money.  At least I thought we had.  Then IT came in the last grocery-shopping trip.  Six cans of SPAM sitting in my cabinet, taunting me with its odd consistency and five-year shelf life.    Food, of any sort in a can, has never been my thing.   Meat in a can has a particularly nightmarish quality because it taunts me with visions of botulism and salmonella.  I know this is neurotic, but I have learned to embrace the overly anxious side of myself and make it work for good instead of evil.  Part of me wants to throw it out but I will not.  He has succeeded in turning me into a dollar watcher.  I cannot bring myself to throw out something that we paid for with our hours away from the children and lost time as a couple. 
I am going to cook SPAM.  The thought makes me shudder, but I am going to do it because that is the challenge that has been presented to me.  I will, however, be darned if I am going to sit around my table gnawing on chunks of fried congealed meat product slathered in ketchup.  I am going to turn this SPAM into a culinary event if it kills me and it might because let us face it we are talking about SPAM.  The internet provides a surprising number of suggestions.
I do notice that the majority of the recopies involve SPAM sculptures.  My assumption is that this is a desperate bid on the part of the chef.  They are hoping that the wonders of the eye will detract from the terrors of the taste buds. I opt to for Korea BBQ Spam with Quinoa and mixed vegetables.   My mother would be proud of my industriousness and newfound thrifty nature, but I am still not sure she would partake in my canned meat concoction.   We sit down to dine.  The flavor is not bad, but the chunks of stir-fried SPAM slide down my throat in quite the odd fashion.  The salt content is so high that I am convinced that I can feel the skin on the roof of my mouther withering. He pats my hand while we are eating.
“It is really good but this is the last time I buy SPAM, I promise,” He says with a smile.

I am relieved until I contemplate the four additional cans that are still lurking behind the cabinet door. 

No comments:

Post a Comment