Tuesday, November 25, 2014

The Truth about the Holidays

I have been off of work since last Friday. It has been a marathon since the minute I got into the car.  I do not get time at home very often and when I do, I am determined to make the most of every minute.  Those minutes will not come around again and each picture makes me painfully aware that my children are marching towards the next stage of life.  It is the stage where I will cease to be the coolest person on the planet and couch time watching movies will suddenly become more important to me than it is to them.   It is a parental right of passage to watch them grow, but I am determined to suck every moment out of the time that I do get.  In the past four days we have attended a church BBQ, feasted on warm cinnamon buns for breakfast, made Christmas snowflakes, watched Disney movies while eating pasta wrapped under blankets, and had dinner with Pop Pop.  The kids are nearly dizzy with the change in our typical routine.  Their laughter has filled the apartment with warmth and love.  We have enjoyed every moment while trying to suppress the gnawing ache that begins sometime around the holiday season and will not dissipate until the last present has been opened and New Year's resolutions are firmly in place. 
Holidays are bittersweet in our home.  I believe this is true for any parent that has navigated the muddy waters of the custody system.  From the moment of conception, the holidays become something we do for our children.  We cook the dishes that they like, decorate with the ornaments that they are attached to, and organize parties intended to foster their joy.  Celebrations cease to be about us.  We are busy, overwhelmed, and often stressed throughout the holiday season.  However, when we finally collapse into a chair and take a look at all the happy and satiated faces that surround us, we would not trade a minute of our efforts.   From that joy, we receive our sustenance.  Sleep seems to matter less than the delighted giggle of a child as they tear into a gift or discover that the simple sugar cookie has a chocolate filling.  When you “ share” your children in a divorce, no one gives you a handbook that explains how to have a holiday without that joy.  Lawyers congratulate you on reaching a satisfactory settlement.  Their livelihood depends on your desperate grab for your share of the pie in a divorce.   The best interest of the children often falls by the wayside in the face of interrogatories and other things that force you to recall only the worst things about your former partner.  They do not tell you to prepare yourself because the first time your kids drive away at Christmas time you will feel like your heart is being ripped out of your chest.   50% of the holidays are never going to feel like enough. They don’t tell you that learning to celebrate the holiday without your children present is the emotional equivalent of learning to walk a second time.   
I am sitting here writing this and trying to pretend that Wednesday will not come.  It is not my year to have my kids for Thanksgiving.  Last year I had them for our family reunion.  My Ex and I have mastered the art of playing fair in a joint effort to ease the pain of divorce for the children that we share.  I am grateful that they are thriving in a situation that had the potential to rip them to pieces, but tomorrow will not be any easier.  On the outside, I will smile and laugh.  I will hug them  and tell them that I can’t wait to seem them on Friday.  I will tell them to eat plenty of turkey because I know their dad and step-mother can cook.  I will tell them to say hello to their Nana for me and assure them that I have a place to celebrate.  On the outside, I will do all those things because it is what they need but on the inside I will break.  I will mourn internally over the fact that it will be someone else’s hands that craft the pies and make the macaroni and cheese.  I will rail against the injustice of a system that thinks they can possibly survive away from me.   On the inside, it will feel like my heart is in pieces and I will want to go upstairs and hide under a blanket until my house rings with laughter again. That is not what I will do.  Instead, I will go upstairs and make casseroles and apple dump cake.   I will lay out Christmas decorations to put up when they return on Friday.   I will say a silent prayer for my sweet husband who contends with an absence much more permanent than my own this time of year. I am a helpless bystander on his journey most days.  Only God, time, and his indomitable spirit will be able to ease the ache that family court has left in his heart.  I will remember the pies baked with love every Thanksgiving and packed up to be eaten outside of my mother’s embrace and the construction paper Christmas tree on the wall of my father’s first post divorce apartment and bless my parents for their efforts.  I did not understand the significance of these gestures than the way that I do now.  I will put one foot in front of the other and march forward in the face of the pain.  Five years into my post divorce existence, I have learned to do this without faltering.  My struggles are no longer external and obvious to anyone that sees me. We will continue to construct our new normal, full of marathon days of fun and holiday compromises.   If I do it right, my children will only ever think about the time that we do have together and never stop to contemplate our moments apart.

Making Memories:











No comments:

Post a Comment